Scope of Services
Protax is a leading professional services tax accounting and consulting firm specializing in the delivery of world class U.S. (United States) international individual tax accounting, consulting and compliance services to:
- » U.S. Expats or Expatriates[Rollover to expand]
- (U.S. citizens and U.S. green card holders living and working outside the U.S.). U.S. Expats or Expatriates are taxable on worldwide income for their lifetime, unless they expatriate- surrender their U.S. citizenship or Legal Permanent Residence or green card- Please see article- Choosing to Renounce U.S. Citizenship or Legal Permanent Residence (Green Card).
- There are opportunities for the U.S. Expat or Expatriate to avoid double taxation through the use special exclusions- the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE), Housing Exclusion (HE) (Employed) or Housing Deduction (HD) (Self Employed) available on Form 2555- Foreign Earned Income and Foreign tax credits (FTC) available on Form 1116- Foreign Tax Credit, may be considered if the foreign country has a foreign income tax. These are highly complex filings involving complex terminology and only competent international tax CPA’s (Certified Public Accountants) should attempt these filings. Please see article- Are You A US Person Thinking Of Accepting A Foreign Assignment?
- » Foreign Nationals-Nonresident and/ or Resident Aliens[Rollover to expand]
- (Non U.S. citizens or non U.S. green card holders living and working here in the U.S.). Non Resident Alien Foreign Nationals that breach the Substantial Presence Test (SPT) become U.S. Resident Aliens taxable in the U.S. on their worldwide income, similar to U.S. citizens or green card holders. Different visas have different U.S. tax residency implications. These are highly complex filings that involve complex terminology and Internal Revenue Code sections not understood by the majority of CPA practionners, therefore only competent international tax CPA’s should attempt these filings. Please see article- Prefer An American Work Experience?
- (Non U.S. citizens or non U.S. green card holders living and working here in the U.S.). Non Resident Alien Foreign Nationals that breach the Substantial Presence Test (SPT) become U.S. Resident Aliens taxable in the U.S. on their worldwide income, similar to U.S. citizens or green card holders. Different visas have different U.S. tax residency implications.
- Dual Status filings in transition tax years, U.S. domestic residency elections and resulting state residency consequences increase the scope and complexity of these Foreign Nationals-Nonresident and/ or Resident Aliens filings.
- Foreign National-Resident Alien ways out of U.S. tax residency include domestically the Closer Connection Exception available on Form 8840- Closer Connection Exception Statement- and U.S. federally negotiated income tax treaties and social security treaties or totalization agreements that override U.S. domestic tax legislation.
- Foreign National-Nonresident and/ or Resident Aliens provisions are highly complex filings that involve complex terminology and Internal Revenue Code sections not understood by the majority of CPA practionners, therefore only competent international tax CPA’s should attempt these filings. Please see article- Prefer An American Work Experience?
- » High-Net Worth Individual Tax
- After the U.S. Expat or Expatriate U.S. citizen or Legal Permanent Resident (green card holder)- repatriates back to the U.S. or upon the Foreign National-Nonresident and/ or Resident Alien client acquiring their green card or U.S. citizenship, they always stay with Protax services recognizing the value that Protax brings to the table. Protax represents that additional level of U.S. individual tax competence rarely practiced by other CPA’s. In addition locally based individuals generally seek out Protax’s services due to our stellar reputation internationally for excellence.
Top Ranked- Google & Yahoo
The Protax website is number one ranked by both Google and Yahoo where we also enjoy a special partnered relationship. Search all known U.S. Expat or U.S. Expatriate Tax or Foreign National- Nonresident and/ or Resident Alien Tax or U.S. Tax form 1040NR keywords organically or sponsored and our firm website pops up number one or at the very top of your search.
World Renown Industry Benchmark Articles [Rollover to expand]
Protax’s Principal Marc J. Strohl, CPA’s concise and informative executive summary tax articles regarding U.S. Expat or Expatriate and Foreign National-Nonresident and/ or Resident Alien tax are world renown and considered industry benchmark authoritative articles.
Please visit our articles page for more details.
Regularly Featured, Quoted and Published [Rollover to expand]
Our Principal Marc J. Strohl, CPA is a sitting member on multiple committees of The New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA) and is a regularly featured and a quoted contributor to their publications, including the bi-weekly newspaper The Trusted Professional and their NYSSCPA.com Online Blog.
Marc J. Strohl, CPA is a frequent external speaker on U.S. international individual taxation matters and is guest faculty giving CPE and CLE to attorneys and CPA’s. He is featured as a guest speaker and lecturer at NYSSCPA International Tax Committee engagements, including their annual FAE- International Taxation Conference. He is also featured faculty at Lawline.com, the leading accountants and attorneys provider of online Continuing Professional (CPE) and Legal (CLE) Education courses.
Please visit our Events and Speaking Engagements page for more details.
Location of Services
Protax is headquartered in midtown Manhattan, New York and operates on a global platform with client presence worldwide. We provide seamless tax coverage worldwide through our affiliated Association of International Tax Consultants (AITC) foreign offices.
Approach and Networked Client Services
At Protax, we believe in the traditional and hard working approach to professional client service. We network with firms to provide client services in general litigation, immigration, criminal, matrimonial and real-estate closing legal services, mortgage facilities, thorough expatriate web site resources, individual and institutionalized investment and banking services, medical health plan consulting, qualified retirement plans / education plans / and insurance services, complete third party payroll services, and web site development and maintenance. Please visit our links page for more details.
Please contact us for a free consultation and for further details.